One Bakersfield woman's blog to mankind

The single woman's motto: "So... you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul..."

Monday, September 19, 2005

Punk Art at the not so empty Empty Space

Saturday evening I went down to the Empty Space to see Los Angeles artist and musician Michael Biagiotti’s art exhibit: I Got the Shakes and his band Drowse. His urban punk rock attitude influenced oil paintings were bold, colorful, abstract, and beautiful. I wanted one. But art wasn’t in my budget this month. I did get to buy a smaller print version of my favorite piece Radiate Love and took a little Biagiotti home with me. NL and I walked around the Empty Space’s gallery admiring the art, and mingling with the various people who had come out to see what all the art hoopla was about. He took pictures of the artist and the band and I chatted with Julia Heatherwick, curator of the Empty Space and fellow blogger. Biagiotti’s band Drowse played an energetic and smart punk rock set that was uniquely heart felt and soulful and had everyone in the art crowd excited and entertained. The art, the band, the whole thing was a great blend of art and music for the Empty Space. Michael Biagiotti’s art exhibit will be running until October 1, 2005. Everyone should get down to the Empty Space and check out this fabulous art.

After the art show NL, Julia Heatherwick, another lovely young lady and myself went out for a little food and talk. There was Mexican food, margaritas, laughter and plenty of titillating blog talk. Discussions ensued regarding the politically correct way to tell the Fred Flintstone’s of the world that they have a BIG problem with the STINK. Toilet etiquette and sexual harassment versus the CREEP factor were questioned. It was a fun night and I had a great time. I will tell you that Julia Heatherwick is a very funny lady and a real gem. I think she’s fabulous! Everyone should check out her blog where art is the main course but she throws in a few side dishes now and then too. Also check out any art exhibit she’s involved in at the Empty Space.